Old 06-18-07, 07:26 AM
JOHN J

Bikes: giant ATX 760, Falcon Road Bike (ss) custom marinoni tourismo (full dresser) ,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
help me spec a bike build (Please) building a frame!

good morning big brothers and sisters!

I hope all is well ,

anyway all my recent threads were aimed at my short leg long torso build and the fact its hard getting a good fit off the shelf.

well I decided to build a frame, not right away but in the near to mid future.

the frame will be fillet brazed, I cant use lugs since I need a sloping top tube.

my biggest issue right now is what to build.?? heres whats in my stable right now.

1) surly cross check size 50 cm, this is my do everything bike! this bike is too small in the head tube and top tube.

I have my seat all the way back, plus 5 " of stack washers and a long riser stem so it works ok since I have all the variables that are availabe maxed out. this bike also weighs a ton !! with touring rims , 40 spoke rear 36 front, carradice bag , cross brake levers , tripple cranks, fenders with full length mudflaps, permanent 12 volt lights ,full water bottles ,brooks sprung seat, rack, ortlieb handlebar bag ,tools,and raingear ... 52LBS. I rode this bike in the tour de cure (no clothes in bags)
and got lots of funny looks from the roadies, one asked if harley davidson made my bike for me

2) second bike is a beautiful Falcon road bike from 1992, reynolds 531 frame and fork, this bike fits good as a racing type bike except if I want the bars up like now. its a SS right now ,I have a NITTO very long stem with bull horns at the moment and the exposed Quill is just over 5 " I may get a dirt drop stem for it and that should work good. the blue Falcon is racing geometry though and quite twitchy

3) my last bike is a 90s giant ATX 760 mtb WAY TO SMALL 16" frame , the saleman back then talked me into it smaller frame is more durable thing well thats was fine for off road but this bike is way too small for a comfy road ride.

so im torn on what to build. here are a few thoughts

1) build a proper sized bike using 700 c wheels and strip the cross check sell the frame convert the ss back to geared ride (I love my SS though)

2) build another 700c (sport tour) bike. keep the cross check as My commuter since it does work ok due to all the maxed out adjustments.

3) since the mountain bike is pretty much worthless to me and it has very good 26" wheels and LX components strip it and build up a sport tour using 26" wheels, and again keep the cross check as is.

would a bike made with 26" wheels and slick work as a comfy century bike, group rides, benifits ??

the main use for this bike would be benifit rides like tour de cure Ive done a few this year, I'll also use it for longer fun rides, metrics ...and will commute on it some too daylight fair weather, Ill build it to hang a big carradice bag but no racks or permanent lights... KEEP THE WEIGHT DOWN AT LEAST A LITTLE.

Your thoughts please!!!

many thanks and please I need your input!

have a great day

"John"