Old 06-19-07, 08:12 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Cool, and to address the wheel question now:

26" wheels are stronger, especially if you are going to be hauling a load and spoke count and strength are more important than shaving a few grams.

Frame material:
For me, Steel is real! It gives a virtual unlimited stress/life cycle as compared with Aluminum and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than Ti. Steel fork as well.

Geometry for a long distance bike: Relaxed and compliant ride under load. Longer chainstays are a plus because you can ride with panniers with no heel strike.

Lots of braze ons for racks and multiple bottle bosses for bottle cages.

Here's my current setup for long distance riding.
Originally Posted by JOHN J
Hi Tom,

no I havn't tried the framebuilders forum yet as I figured Id get some decent input from other big riders

but Ill re word and shorten the post some.

Maybe ill try the long distance group as there bikes are set up for long haul comfort my biggest issue is whether to build up using 26" or 700c???

Ill have lots of questions for the frame build forum when I start.

actually there is a gent that posts alot on the frame build forum that lives 20mins from me one of my co workers lives in the same village and thinks he knows him but not quite sure.

but he hasnt posted in a while as hes been ill, I hear he's up and about now.

so One of these days I hope he gets back on the Forums and I can hook up with him.

hes a Hobby builder but does real nice work by the looks of the photos hes posted on the Fb forum.

have a great day

"John"

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant