gwd
Biker

Bikes: one Recumbent and one Utility Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by makeinu
Perhaps your landlord tried to tell you that payment/obligations are separate issues, but here in Baltimore the tennant can put the rent in escrow if the landlord isn't keeping his end of the bargain. A visit to city hall might be good enough in some circumstances, but I'm inclined to think that withholding payment (or the threat of withholding payment) would be a much more effective bargaining tool.

I'm not saying that taking a discount for prepayment is a bad idea. I'm just pointing out that it's not a free discount, as anyone who prepaid a year's rent in New Orleans around July 2005 is probably well aware.
No. The landlord tenant office told me they are separate issues. You're changing to extreme scenarios by bringing up natural catastrophies. I'd expect a prorated refund if the other party to a contract can't meet the contractual obligation. I can only describe what I experienced - landlord issues resolved in my favor within a day of calling the landlord tenant office. The second time even resulted in the landlord making a long apology on the phone and offering to put the apology in writing. Not catastrophic disasters but the more common occurance of the landlord not meeting contractual or legal obligations. You, the tenant have to negotiate with the landlord to change terms of the lease in your favor and you have to come up with the cash, other than that everything else is the same. Not free but not a lot of work.