Old 06-20-07, 01:16 AM
ShortStuff
KOM: 1 down, 2 to go!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=AquaTerror]OK, Asia (and anyone else who would like to read it) ... here it is, my Tahoe ride
report, albeit quite late.QUOTE]

I'm soooo glad you posted a AMBBR ride report. I also participated in this ride, but I slacked off and didn't submit a ride report. You summed it up beautifully!

It's true, the morning started out very chilly - in fact, downright cold. Thank goodness that first hill came after only 9 miles, so I warmed up nicely after that. I don't think I've been on any rides so far this year with such panoramic views. Between the snow-capped peaks, the tall green pines and the alpine flowers I was in heaven. I must admit that I spent waaaay too much time at that first rest stop taking pictures.

This is a gorgeous ride and a very doable century for first-timers. It sounds like Bruce had a fantastic time with you on this ride - congrats to him for completing the 72 miles! It seemed like most of the riders were wearing Team in Training jerseys to support the Lukemia and Lymphoma Society. It was fun to see the groups from across the country wearing their "helmet art" identifying their state. (pipe cleaner tornados for Oklahoma, Hershey's kisses for Pennsylvania, etc.) Being from Wisconsin myself, I immediately spotted the group with the mini foam cheese wedges attached to the tops of their helmets!

My good friend, Mark, flew out from Wisconsin to ride with me and we had a blast. I'm sure he won't mind me saying that he's a cancer survivor, so this ride had a personal connection for him. Since neither of us were part of a Team in Training group, we decided to be our own 2-person team and wore matching Pirate jerseys. We got a lot of "Argh" and "Ahoy, Captain Jack" references from other riders along the way. Good times.

The only drawback to the ride that I found was the lack of a decent shoulder to ride on. It definitely got dicey at some points with cars trying to pass all of the riders. I agree with your suggestion of starting early to get ahead of the inexperienced riders. I had such a good time on this ride that I've already marked it on my calendar for next year! If anyone else decides to ride next year, look for the Pirate jerseys! Argh.

Here are some of my pics from the ride. Enjoy!

riders climbing 1st hil

view to first rest stop

Lara at overlook

Mark at overlook

gorgeous view

Truckee bike path

route after lunch

Lara & Mark at end of ride