View Single Post
Old 06-21-07, 01:52 PM
Rutnick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Compared to the cost of the bike and the price some people just pay for tires, $60 is nothing. I just wanted to give it a try. It's no big deal to me.

Maybe in a year, all wheels or most high end will come with ceramics standard. The price has to come down.

Originally Posted by ryanspeer
if it helps for you to type more slowly, then that's fine.

No, the common man does not "need" them in the least. Dura Ace or Record won't magically make you or me a measurably better rider/racer in any noteworthy way in comparison to Chorus, Ultegra, etc.

Lighten up pal. If it sounded like I was taking some personal stab at you (I'm not), then I apologize. All I'm saying is that from what I'VE read, ceramic bearings are horrifically overpriced in relation to their cost of manufacture, the benefit received by using them, etc. $60 for one set of wheel bearings is a lot of money by my standards and probably most people's standards. If you've got $60 laying around waiting to be spent, then more power to you - I hope you receive benefit by using the bearings. Personally though, I view ceramic bearings as being just about the last upgrade that I or most other cyclists would ever do to their bikes in comparison to other upgrades.

A pro who rides his bike for a living will notice any and every little variance in their bike's characteristics. They need every little advantage they can get with reduced friction, blah blah blah. You and I are NOT pro's, and as such, $60 for one measly set of wheel bearings which will provide little measurable benefit to either of us strikes me as a ripoff. Marketing genius, but a ripoff nonetheless.