Old 06-23-07, 03:09 AM
maunakea
too many bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's different about riding a folder?

I was musing today on a long climb on my road bike. On busy highways with no shoulder I ride the fog line, which requires constant attention.... maybe 30% of the CPU, but the process is always running. It hit me.... this is like riding a folder (ISO 451 or smaller), the constant attention part. When pedaling on a folder, you can't space out, free associate among life's recent insults and triumphs... sort of forget you're on a bike, but nonetheless, have the exhilaration of cycling. I enter that cerebral zone (unique to cycling in my experience, perhaps an endorphin without vigilance state) when mashing away on a empty road on my road bike.... but I can't get there on the Maunakea Bike, on a small Dahon, or even on my Swift (close on the Swift, but not quite there). So that, to me, is the biggest difference. I experience just as much pleasure and appreciation of health, scenery, and sport, whether on a folder or a road bike (or MTB), so I was rather startled to realize today that, for me, the biggest difference is that the higher vigilance required of your line, and the impact of pedaling on maintaining your line, when on a folder means I remain in the physicality of the moment, as opposed to drifting into cerebrality.

Anybody else experience this?

Is the fog line reverie the division between epistemology and ontology, or just between spacing out and staying focused?

Last edited by maunakea; 06-23-07 at 03:37 AM.