Sheldon Brown
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WilliamK1974
Hopefully this is the right board for this question.

I got a good look at an Xtracycle today while visiting an LBS. Two of them actually. One looked like it was made from a vintage road bike with modern brakes added, and the other was made from an older Trek. I've been wanting to get a closer look at one of those for awhile.

Anyway, I have my old Huffy Jackal MTB here that's still very much in rideable condition. The downside is that the frame might now be too small for me, but everything still works. The frame measures around 18.5" and the tires are 26". It has 21 speeds and cantilever brakes. I don't want to use my old Schwinn like this as it might be too big.

Would this make a good Xtracycle conversion? It's the only bike that I would call an extra bike, even though we take it out on trails sometimes. I may upgrade my MTB soon. Bad or good, it could be awhile before I actually got to do this due to the cost of doing it right.

I've been out thrift store shopping to see if I could find a cheap used MTB or hybrid for this purpose, but ain't found squat yet. Next places to go are the pawnshops, but I'm not too optimistic. Craigslist rarely has alot of bikes around here. I've never seen used bikes at an LBS except for one that seems dedicated to that sort of thing, and he rarely has MTBs.
It is most likely _possible_ to install an Xtracycle on your Huffy, but probably a Bad Idea.

Generally, the reason for using an Xtracycle is to carry heavy loads, and the flimsy wheels on most Huffys (Huffies?) are not likely to be up to the task.

Sheldon "You Get What You Pay For" Brown