View Single Post
Old 06-24-07, 07:30 AM
bsyptak
Luggite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have virtually the same bike from 2004, the Giant Cypress SX. They renamed it in 2005 to the FCR series to market it more as a flat bar road bike instead of hybrid, but that's it for changes. I think the SX is one step up from the FCR 3, because the msrp was $600.

It's been a helluva commuter, 18.5 miles RT. I've put close to 4k miles on it with not a single problem. As you can see, it fits rack, fenders and panniers. and I added bar ends. It's an extremely solid bike. I've got other bikes, so I never used it for anything else. Once you get all the accessories on it, it's not the speedster it is on the showroom floor due to the added weight. But it is an excellent, rock solid commuter/town bike.

Adventures? I guess it depends on what your idea of adventure is. I have a road bike and definitely prefer it for long rides. It's a lot lighter. But I wouldn't want to ride the road bike around town, groceries, commuting. Many people do, but hybrids & mtbs are far more popular for the task.

That being said, I've recently decided that it's a little big for me. I bought a 19 and should have bought the 17. 18 would have been perfect. Plus, I've ridden it 4k miles and am ready for a change. I also wanted disc brakes and a steel frame. So I bought a Jamis Coda Elite. Only ridden it once and have yet to add the rack & panniers. Time will tell. Here's the Giant.