Armstrong Wanna Be

Bikes: 1 Mtn. Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Misc Commuting Questions

First off, I was able to learn the following things while reading the forums:
- It's better to rider slower for 5 days a week than harder for 3 days a week. This was my problem last year.
- I got semi slick tires for a better ride
- I wasn't the only one having to dry my clothes in my cubicle

My questions:
- What do people do for breakfast before leaving on the commute? I drink a glass of orange juice and pop a vitamin. Of course, I pack something for breakfast for when I get there which is usually a container with cereal (I have milk in the fridge at work)

- I take with my a change of clothing, lunch for the day (various containers with fruits, crackers, ect.) and footwear. This barely fits in my backpack and makes it quite heavy. I have the impression that there are not alot of alternatives but willing to listen to some.

- This question is more of a moral delima I think. There's shortcut people take. The bike path turns away from the highway and people will continue along the highway to cut across to the mall 500m futher down. I measured it this morning and I would save 2.4 Km and 7-10min. Most of the hills are on that 2.4 Km stretch as well. However, there a sign clearly indicating that no bikes are allowed past that point. You also have to cross the highway to the other side and cycle facing traffic on the large paved shoulder until you reach the dirt path that leads to the mall which re-connects to my route. I too shake my head a people that cycle against traffic so...

In any case, I usually bike 24Km per day round trip, which takes me about 1hr round trip as well.