View Single Post
Old 06-27-07, 11:50 AM
TimJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There's nothing to it. An adjustable bb was one of the first things I ever took apart. The only thing is having the proper tools. Instead of a pin spanner I got by with sticking needlenose pliers into the holes. Without a lockring wrench I got by with adjustable pipe pliers. You should get a crank-puller though, if you don't have one.

It's really no big deal and if there's no pitting on the axle there's no reason to replace the bb. Personally I don't even care if there is light pitting on the axle. If the bearings look sort of crummy I buy new bearings, but on an older bike with a standard-sized and threaded bb shell, if it looks decent I just clean it up and repack with plenty of fresh grease. The worst that can happen is one day it gets too sloppy to adjust away and you have to buy a new bb. In the mean time you can probably go for hundreds more miles on that old bb just cleaned and repacked.