View Single Post
Old 06-28-07, 09:59 AM
CalifTraveller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Compact but fast folder?

I'm new to folding bikes and wondered if I could get some advice. I'd like to get a folder for when I travel (frequently) that is compact but still a reasonable fast ride. I ride a road bike (Raleigh R700) and commute everyday (Giant FCR) and enjoy bikes with a longer reach (27-29") and high pressure tires. Because I'd take the bike on buses, trains, and in suitcase for flying, I'd like a pretty small fold (lighter is also a bonus) and a bike I could put in the suitcase without too much hassle. I've tried a Brompton (great fold but a little heavy and slow) but nothing else. The Downtube mini looks compact (although the dimensions are unclear: Gaerlan vs. Downtubes claims) but I'm not sure about how fast it would be. The Swift looks quick but a large fold. The Dahon MU 8 and MU SL also look attractive but I'm not sure how small the folds really are or how fast they are. The Bike Fridays are too rich for my budget. I'm 5'10" and 170 lbs. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated. Thanks.