View Single Post
Old 05-17-04, 07:11 AM
DanFromDetroit
Bike Happy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own one of these and use it for commuting in the city, mostly in the winter time. It works well and provides enough light for my purposes. I would not recommend it as the only front light you have in a more rural setting.

PROS:
  • inexpensive
  • simple mounting hardware. supplied velcro strap ended up being used to strap the connector on to the light head. the wire kept popping out on bumps because it is inserted from the bottom and gravity always wins without the strap. I use a baby bottle insulator bag to keep the battery warm in wintertime, so I just stuffed the excess wire into the bag.
  • ample light for city commute
  • good run time. about 2.5 hours is advertised but I never used it more than about 1.5 hours at a time. It worked well for me.

CONS:
  • Heavy battery.
  • When you remove the light from the bike, you have 3 pieces to keep track of (4 if you bring the charger). Nitehawk should have included a bag.
  • buy a separate and cheap steel water bottle cage. Over time you will bend the cage inserting and removing the battery. Steel is more bendable than aluminum. Don't even bother with plastic.
  • No "blinking mode" or tail-light options