Car free since 1995

Bikes: M5 Carbon High Racer, Trek Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CalifTraveller
Thanks for all the great advice!
Now I've got some choices to think over. I hadn't considered a Birdy because I thought they were too expensive, but it does look like the Yellow sneaks in just under the $1000 ceiling.
It sounds like modifying a Downtube, because of all the standard parts, might be another good option.
Can anyone tell me what the approximate fold size is if the rear shock bolt is removed on the FS and the wheel pivoted under in the fold?

Any comments on the Dahon MU SL or Speed Pro. Both look to have longer reaches and fast tires but I've seen several comments about the proprietary parts making them difficult to repair/modify.
Thanks.
I wouldn't want to try to get on a crowded bus with a Downtube! With a lot of tweaking, I did manage to get my NS to fit in a Dahon slip cover bag, but that required installing removable pedals.

The Birdy is all standard parts save the rims and tires. The headset has to be installed upside down, which limits the number of headsets you can use slightly. (Some are meant to be installed right side up.)

The Mu SL and Speed Pro are good options. The Mu is of course lightest (what a genius of a name). The frame hinge will give you grief on either of them. Also, the stem feels a touch flimsy. But the fold is reasonably small, the price is great, the component selection stellar (so no need to change the proprietary parts), and you can the Mu in anywhere if bagged. In my humble opinion, these bikes will not last very long, however. Also, the ride is much harsher than on a comparably equipped road bike, and you may need to go with larger tires if you are riding on anything but frozen ponds.