Old 06-29-07, 12:48 PM
asherlighn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Building a Crossish bike - need suggestions

Im building (I have lots of spare parts, otherwise I would probably be buying a Biance Volpe or something. I lucked out and got a pretty good deal on a kona JTS frame so thats going to be the body of this beast) up a sturdier bike so that I can put nice racing wheels on my Trek 5200 and not have to worry about hurting them on curbs and poorly maintained MUPS. I plan on taking this bike for rides with my friends who like to go XC mountain biking, commuting around town, and generally abusing it. I have some questions and I hope you guys have some suggestions!

*Disc brakes vs rim brakes: How useful are disc brakes? I probably wont have rear discs, but front disc brakes are currently an option and I would like to hear some people's opinions on how much of an improvement disc brakes make in really sudden stopping over rim brakes.

*Fork selection: Fork is one of the components I dont have, and I would appreciate any suggestions on ones that have worked well for others (and have disc brake mounts). My main concern with forks is durability.

*Drivetrain: I dont think this is going to be an issue, but I have a full shimano xt drive train from 2005. That should work pretty well for this project, no?

*Any hints or suggestions as to anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks for any and all information!