View Single Post
Old 06-29-07, 07:33 PM
BloomingCyclist
It Takes Two

Bikes: 1973 Chiappini w/ Campy New Record, 2004 Kestrel Talon w/ Campy Chorus, 2006 Santana Team Niobium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thigh Master
"...brings back a pleothora of bicycling memories (incuding racing with Dave Blaze whom the movie "Breaking Away" was based upon).
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Rode your neck-of-the-woods and route of the Hilly Hundred years ago...Is the Neet Bridge the one where the planks are laid out lengthwise (side-by-side)?...
All of these covered bridges have the planks laid out running lengthwise through the bridge. I suppose that when the planks are originally laid down they may have been close enough together to be safe to ride on but all the ones I've seen personally have gaps big enough to swallow a bike wheel. I agree that it's best to walk through them.

Riding into Bloomington, down Kirkwood to campus and on to Nashville / Brown County brought back memories to many of the riders who had gone to college there in years past and / or who had ridden the Hilly Hundred.

The night before, in our large group gathering after dinner, the organizer recounted the origins of TRIRI 25 years ago. He and several other riders also spoke of connections they had to the filming of "Breaking Away" - This was followed by a showing of the film in the lodge for those interested.

The Hilly 100 has grown into a group of 5000 plus riders for the October weekend. It has its own website www.hillyhundred.org and is sponsored by the Central Indiana Bicycling Association (CIBA) based in Indianapolis. The Hilly Hundred no longer goes as far east as Nashville because it moved its starting point from Bloomington HS North to Edgewood HS in Ellettsville.

For those such as Xanti (yes, visit your sister and ride TRIRI) and Thighmaster considering TRIRI, be aware it does go to different parts of the state each year but next year it will be in the southern half again but well south of Bloomington. The same group also sponsors the September Escapade and it will be in this area this September - I believe they are still accepting registrations for that at the same website www.triri.org

Bloomington, IN