Old 06-30-07, 03:42 AM
EbikeHawaii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilV
Since electric motors have a wide range of usable torque and can work efficiently throughout that range, and since many front / rear derailleur settings are inefficient and hard on the chain and cogs even for a person inputting modest power, maybe a lot of those gears wouldn't be so much use. The internal hub design can use a bigger chain and keeps it running in an exactly straight line the way it is supposed to be. I'd say that is a superior specification on paper at least.

Personally, although I can see why someone might be interested in working out the problems, I think running a mountain bike at 45 mph is a dangerous thing to do. None of its parts are meant for that kind of punishment. What's more, doing so is bound to cause draconian response from the authorities. 'In your face' behaviour like that is extremely unwise, I'd say. That said, I think Randy has made some very useful contributions to developing very practical solutions. I think the twin freewheel thing to an internal hub is a master stroke actually. Coupled to a lower power motor running at its spec voltage, we could see the same weight battery pack having twice as many cells in parallel, or larger cells. That would mean phenomenal range. Poor range is the biggest limiter of the ebike market at the moment.

Most ebikers don't drive up volcanoes. They want to go practical distances on reliable durable machines at modest speeds. The light motorcycle / scooter market is already very well served by dozens of designs. It is a very different market to that for ebikes.
Shifting your pedal gears more than two times to 30 mph in seconds would be useless.Most people here would need a ebike that will climb steep hills if they wanted to go around this island.The volcano only proves this can be done efficiently without the system breaking down or depending on pedal power if your human power whimps out.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...83645398356399

The whole video
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=1