Old 07-01-07, 05:13 PM
gui4life

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie biker looking to get cheap but good road bike. Couple questions.

Hey guys. I stumbled upon this forum from a google search and I am looking to get into road biking for fun and fitness.

I went down to two of my local bike shops (2 and only 2 in my area) and the first one I went to suggested I look into their Trek 1000 or their Lemond Etape. I said my price range was about 450 but I don't feel to bad if i have to spend 700 (however no more than that!)

I liked the Lemond however the shifter design wasnt the best (can't really down shift when your down on the bottom handle postion. I test drove it for about 3 minutes and seemed pretty nice.

I've never ridden an on-road before so I cant really know how to compare it to anything else.

Anyways - couple of questions.

1) I don't have the best back, its because of slouchy and being lazy and not sitting up straight. What kind of stretches can I do to improve my flexibility that will help me when biking? I have a weight bench also. I need to increase my flexibility alot.

2) I am fat. Not really a question but more of a problem. I am 6 foot 4 (I am tall.) and I am 220 pounds of non-muscle (just fat!) I got down to 180 pounds last summer but I totally slacked off during winter and went into an extreme depression (and just now trying to be back into shape.) I hope to get myself back down to 175ish and more muscle. I feel so icky. You think a guy in my shape (and tallness) will be able to ride a road bike?

3) Is the Lemond Etape a good bike? Ive read the Sticked ( New & Improved : The Under $750 Roadbike Thread) and not very many people talk about the Lemond. Is it a good frame? Will the components suffice? I want a decent starter bike for exersize and fun, I won't be racing.

4) My previous bikes ive had (cheap Walmart mountain bikes and what not) the bike seat always hurt my crotch. Cant really describe where but its like the soft tissue under the crotch. Any suggestions on the type/brand of saddle?

I will go back to the bike shop and try out the Trek 1000 and the Giant OCR3 and the Lemond Etape again. Any advice in the mean time will be very helpful! Thanks!