Old 07-01-07, 05:41 PM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
First off....way to go as far as starting to get back in shape. Secondly, back when I was test riding road bikes in the fall/winter of '05 I test rode both the Trek 1000 and the LeMond Etape. I liked the Trek well enough but I really liked the LeMond. I found that the position was a bit more upright, hence more comfortable for us big guys (I am 6'1" and about 205lbs). I didn't really mind the Sora shifting since any bike in this price range is going to be similarly equipped, as well as the Alex rims. As far as not being able to shift from the drops....how often will you be riding in them. Will you be in the drops enough for it to become an issue? If not, do not concern yourself with it. There are a great many members here in BF (myself included, although mine is my backup) who ride a Sora equipped bike and love it. I do not ride in the drops much of the time so I do not find the shifting position a problem at all. As far as the ride.....the LeMond felt really good for my body type. I am 6'1" with a 31" inseam so I found the slightly longer top tube a nice fit for me in the 57cm size and it rode very well, especially for an entry level bike. You may hear about the stiff ride of aluminum frames but, as a big guy, I don't feel it beats us up as much as the little guys. Of course this is merely MY opinion and I have no real studies with which to back me up. The ride position is nice and comfortable for the non-racer. It is a bit more upright than a race rig and should be comfortable for many miles if you get one that fits. Now having said that, I did not buy an Etape but I DID buy a LeMond. I ended up with a really good deal on a leftover Tourmalet which the shop let me have for $300 off of retail. I still have this bike and love it to this day. By the way my backup is a Sora equipped 2003 Raleigh Grand Sport which I picked up from Craigslist for $150. If you can find that LeMond for a price you can live with then, by all means, have at it. I love LeMond bikes as do quite a few others in here. And, as suggested earlier, you may get some good advice from the Clydesdale Forums too.

Good Luck and Cheers!

Brian

― Bruce Lee

Last edited by baj32161; 07-04-07 at 04:53 PM.