Old 07-02-07, 02:45 AM
Nicodemus
Feral Member

Bikes: yes, I have one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad experience trying the Jamis. It's a shame to think that you are turned off a bike that may be better for you just because of bad service. That shop doesn't seem like they deserve your money even if you do want the bike. A badly set up test bike is one of the best ways for a bike shop to shoot themselves in the foot.

I personally would favour steel. I currently have a Alu. hybrid and though I love it I plan for my next bike to be steel. I'm tired of the harsh ride Alu gives me.

As for drops vs. straight handlebars, it depends on your riding conditions. If they are largely urban and you do not habitually ride long distances then straights are fine. If you ride longer distances then drops are recommended.

Many purists say you *must* go for drops. I can understand the sentiment, but maintain that all different types of bikes can be perfect - it all depends on the rider.

Good luck, and I hope you get a chance to try a properly set up Jamis.