Zeuser
e-Biker

Bikes: Gary Fisher, Strong GT-S eBike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Motorist hits Biker, gets pwned!

So on Friday the 29th of June at 17:43 at the corner of Mavis and Burnhamthorpe in Mississauga, Ontario a Black Camry, licence plate XXXXXXX, hit a cyclist crossing the street. He got pwned by two cyclists afterwards!

Basically the light was green for us to cross Burnhamthorpe on the northside where the bike path is. Southbound Mavis at that corner has a right turn lane and a right turn light as well. The Black Camry missed the light turning yellow to make his right hand turn. He was going through the red light. He hit the cyclist that was crossing just ahead of me. Luckily the cyclist was unhurt except for some scrapes on his right lower leg.

So far it looks like just another minor accident right? Well, here's where he got pwned. He didn't stop. He completed his right turn and sped away. As he turned right he exposed his rear licence plate to me. I started repeating the plate to myself (deleted plate number, deleted, deleted) over and over until I crossed the intersection. Once safely across I yelled at the other cyclist to stop, he did. Then I told him: Hold on a second and remeber this plate: deleted. As I'm repeating the licence plate in my head I open my bag on my bike rack and pull out my Moleskin notebook, you know... the same type of notebook Hemmingway used. I wrote the licence plate down, the time and details. Then the other cyclist called the cops.

Right behind us came an old man on a motorized wheelchair. He saw the whole thing as well. When the cops arrived we gave them the details, our testimonys and so on. The took our names and numbers and took off to arrest the driver.

By now you've probably figured out why. The motorist commited a felony hit-and-run. Which is a criminal offence. Since there wasn't any bodily harm the charge will be lesser. But if he does in fact get convicted, he still have a criminal record.

It's the only thing we could do but when it comes to a motorist hitting a cyclist, I have a zero tolerence policy.

(Moderator note: I'm not sure about potential legal repercussions to Bike Forums concerning posting a plate number especially considering the motorist as of yet hasn't been convicted of anything, so I am deleting it to stay on the conservative side here. -Tom Stormcrowe)

Administrator's note. Tom isn't old enough to be senile, yet I had to delete the plate again. There will not be a third time. - Brian

Last edited by Tom Stormcrowe; 07-02-07 at 05:45 PM.