Old 07-03-07, 02:26 AM
classic1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'm going to be a party-pooper. Galli was average equipment at best IMO.

Headsets and cranks were normally made by stronglight. I think I hold the world record for breaking Galli cranks (they were all I could afford as a teenager). Pedals were rubbish and were either in house or Maillard IIRC. Galli had a rebadged Look pedal in the late 80's. The hubs were maillard and worked ok but had a poor finish when compared to Campagnolo, Zeus, Shimano. Galli branded rims were available too and I am fairly sure they made them. Galli made their own brakes and derailleurs. The rear derailleurs sucked (especially the lesser models), so did the early model brake calipers. Normally you'd have to bend in the front of the outer plate on the front derailleur so it wouldn't throw your chain off. Once you had that sussed it was fine. The top model front changer looked very similar to Campagnolo at a glance. Later brake calipers were a good solid unit and were ok if you bent the spring slightly to lighten the action and threw away the useless brake pads.

The Sannino-Corretec-Selle Italia team link is interesting as Gianni Savio (manager and owner of the Selle Italia pro team) is of the Galli family and used to own the Galli business.

Originally Posted by sebseb
I got one too (in blue), but the decals say "Carlos".....fork is chrome - original(?) - the frame is sannino on the BB, braze on FD and a brazed number-holder for racing numbers.....anyone an idea where this comes from
It may be an old team bike. There was a Carlos team in the late 70's-early 80's. I don't know who made their bikes but it may have been Sannino. Probably likely seeing as Galli was a co-sponsor and the links between Sannino, Galli, and pro teams.

Last edited by classic1; 07-03-07 at 02:43 AM.