huerro
Villainous

Bikes: Trek 420, Cyclops

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
As you move down the ladder, to Tiagra level, Sora level, sub-Sora level, and from top bike shops to discount bike shops, down to E-Bay stores, you save money on the initial purchase price, but you may pay later in terms of service, repairs, and upgrades.
I have to disagree a bit. My third hand-tiagra/sora group is going strong, now on its second frame, a new (to me) 20 year old steel frame. Those groups will last many years with regular maintenance and serve a fitness/recreational cyclist very well.

I think an entry level group is a good idea until you know what you will be doing down the line. Two, three or five years from now the OP might decide to upgrade. A bike depreciates significantly the day it leaves the shop. If he decides he doesn't love riding on the roads, he can sell it without taking such a huge hit in the pocket book. If he decides that he does love it and wants to upgrade, the group will last (and ride well) until he is ready to. Then he can sell it to someone like me looking for a $300 or $400 bike and upgrade, again, with no big hit in the wallet.

Plus, upgrades don't have to cost a fortune if you are patient. I recently upgraded from my Sora hubbed wheels to some Ultegras for $0.