Turboem1
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Reno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gui4life
I liked the Lemond however the shifter design wasnt the best (can't really down shift when your down on the bottom handle postion. I test drove it for about 3 minutes and seemed pretty nice.

That shifter design is Shimano Sora. If you take a step up and get Shimano Tiagra you will avoid that thumb lever.

Anyways - couple of questions.

1) I don't have the best back, its because of slouchy and being lazy and not sitting up straight. What kind of stretches can I do to improve my flexibility that will help me when biking? I have a weight bench also. I need to increase my flexibility alot.
Whatever bike you get have them put the bars about level with the saddle so you dont have to bend over to much.

2) I am fat. Not really a question but more of a problem. I am 6 foot 4 (I am tall.) and I am 220 pounds of non-muscle (just fat!) I got down to 180 pounds last summer but I totally slacked off during winter and went into an extreme depression (and just now trying to be back into shape.) I hope to get myself back down to 175ish and more muscle. I feel so icky. You think a guy in my shape (and tallness) will be able to ride a road bike?
Your not as big as you make yourself seem. I started riding at 6' 280lbs and others (in the clydesdale forum) have started at much higher weights.

You will have no problems with a road bike. People will recomend wheels with more spokes so they are stronger but just ride what comes on the bike untill you have any problems.

3) Is the Lemond Etape a good bike? Ive read the Sticked ( New & Improved : The Under $750 Roadbike Thread) and not very many people talk about the Lemond. Is it a good frame? Will the components suffice? I want a decent starter bike for exersize and fun, I won't be racing.
Yes the Lemong Etape is a good bike. Much better then any walmart bike out there. It has the sora shifters like you noticed. If you go one step up to the Lemond Reno that will have tiagra and a little 105 on it. (The level of components for Shimano is Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra and the best is Dura-Ace)

4) My previous bikes ive had (cheap Walmart mountain bikes and what not) the bike seat always hurt my crotch. Cant really describe where but its like the soft tissue under the crotch. Any suggestions on the type/brand of saddle?
Saddles are very personal. Everyone finds something else comfortable. Good for you there are hundreds of saddles out there. Bad for you there are hundreds of saddles out there so youll have to try some out. A local bike shop should let you test ride it before you buy or have some sort of return policy if you dont like it. Go try some out.

I will go back to the bike shop and try out the Trek 1000 and the Giant OCR3 and the Lemond Etape again. Any advice in the mean time will be very helpful! Thanks!
Im not sure how soon you are looking to buy but you can save TONS of money if you wait for the 2008's to come out and then buy a 2007. As soon as a new model comes out the "old" ones drop in price. I got my Lemond Reno for $650 and MSRP is $909. Its a 2006 and I bought it when the 2007's were out.