xanatos
Canadian Commuter

Bikes: Iron Horse Maverick '03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow lotsa replies thanks! Surprised by the number of people who can relate

But yeah should cyclists be that surprised? Some of us are doing like 1.5hrs of fairly intensive cardio everyday.

I'm not sure if eating is the solution, as a sort of test, I tried pigging out like nuts for a week (I was at a conference, buffet style every meal). But umm yeh no noticable difference whatsoever (other than a whole lotta time spent on the can, but that's another story, lol)

That being said, I suppose you need to eat enough protein to allow for building muscle mass, so I guess high protein is the way to go. It seems to be that when trying to get a lot more protein one has to be careful about all the animal fat, cholestrol, etc.

For now my short term plan is to try to do weights more regularly. Its hard because it seems like I make no progress. Also weighing under 120lbs you have to start at pretty low weights too, lol.

Originally Posted by geneman
You may be the first human to live to be 200 years old.

article here

-mark
LOL wow "nonobese" is such a nicer adjective than "skinny". Heh imagine the new fangled bikes that'll be developed when in my 150's

Ranger, forum*rider, yeah you face similar situation eh? Maybe we just need to suck it up and know that comes with doing a lot of cycling? bah. lol.

Originally Posted by jeff williams
I was told\ read 5-7 lbs of muscle tissue per year in weight training is average.
3 years-18lbs of muscle would make you the HULK!
-thats like 2190 cans of tuna.
Haha maybe I'm an instant gratification kinda guy, but 5-7lbs a YEAR seems depressing! LOL. So even if I'm working out hardcore, I should expect half a pound a month? I wouldn't even notice that much of a change (depending on how full my stomach/bladder is would already drown out that half pound).

Originally Posted by Swoop
Eat, eat, eat, eat. And then eat some more
Try include as much protein as possible. And eat.
EAT!!
Heh yeah I tried this. Its hard to do while still eating healthy though, I don't want clogged arteries and stuff. hmm

Originally Posted by Boomer
Xanatos,
I was always considered skinny. So at age 38 I started to get myself into shape. I put on nearly 15 lbs in the last two years. I concentrated on lots of protein, especially chicken, tuna and beef. For breakfast, I usually had 4 - 5 egg whites, 5 days a week. I lifted weights two to three times a week, but only 30 minute sessions. Basically, just eat lots of protein and lift weights. I think I could have gained more weight, but I really liked my cardio workouts (running 20 - 25 mile per week). BTW, in high school, I was 5'9", 125#. Now I'm 5'11", 175#.
Boomer, were you able to put on this weight still while biking a lot?

Originally Posted by Joat
I'm 6"2' , 41 and weigh 240...
Definately not one of those "skinny Asian boys".
I would loan you some extra if I could.

On the flip side, I find that I worry a lot less about how much my accessories weigh than most people
HAHA I'd loan some off of you if I could. I actually get a similar statement from a lot of people. Do you bike a lot everyday Joat? Do you find that regardless of the amount of cardio that you day aroun 240?