View Single Post
Old 07-05-07, 10:31 PM
Melanie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, my name is Melanie and I live in San Francisco, and I am a noob to this site - this is my first posting, and seemed an appropriate place to start!

Please tell us your age.
49 (OK, so I'm cheating - it's not that I'm in a rush to be 50, but I'll get there in a couple opf months, so...)

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
Buoyed by a sudden wave of nostalgia, I recently got a 1975 Opaque Blue Schwinn Varsity off of ebay, with touring handlebars and a matress style seat. I had a 1968 Campus Green racer style as a kid, so Schwinn has always had a special appeal for me. I forgot what a tank it was!

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
I take Glucosamine "Joint Juice" faithfully, sometimes take a MVI/B supplement/and calcium. I need to
do better with the latter.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
Yes, and that's exactly why I started riding again. I needed to get into shape, not so much to lose weight, as I am only 15 lbs. over my weight in high school, but to improve cardiovascular fitness and tone up the muscles. Losing some weight would be fine, though.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
I was on my bike ALL the time as a kid and into the 1980's. Then school and career took over and I am finally getting back into it again!

5. What type of biking do you do?
Right now, I am just getting my feet wet again, doing some ruising around the neighborhood and a bike loop (4.5 miles) around a nearby lake. I figure if I can manage to drag my Sherman tank of a bicycle around enough, I'll be fit for anything! It's like riding a 20 lb. road bike with an extra 25 lbs. in a knapsack on your back...

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
Annual? Oh that's a bit premature for me to answer at this stage. I want to get out about 3 -4 times a week for now.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
Nope. I don't haver a sedentary job, but neither is it a cardio workout. I had lumbar surgery two years ago and that took the steam out of certain activities I used to do. I am hoping biking will help with the back, though.

Happy riding!