Old 07-07-07, 01:38 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^^ Any fully syntethic is good. The problem with Mobil-1, or Castrol Syntec, etc, is that it gets dirty very fast. No biggie, since it's so cheap and easy to wipe off. Also, when it gets wet in the rain, it comes off much easier, leaving bare metal exposed to the elements on long rides. This was the problem I had when I used it. The gears would grind and make alot of noise, and all the lube would be gone by the time I got home. If you ride mainly in dry weather though, it is decent stuff, and cheap to use. I ride in the rain quite a bit here in Washington, so it didn't work out as well as I had hoped, especially in the winter.

So, if you ride mainly in dry weather, and don't mind frequently lubing, then it is a very inexpensive and effective lubricant to use.

I really believe the Liquid Wrench is a little better because, like any spray lube, it evaporates and leaves the PTFE behind, which is very thick and sticky, it doesn't come off easily in rain. The vapors from the distillates won't harm the bearing seals, as it's formulated not to. Tri-Flow spray also uses an evaporating distillate, only it's much more expensive than the Liquid Wrench brand. After much use, I have found the two are virtually the same product with some minor differances. Mainly, Liquid Wrench seems better at cleaning than Tri-Flow, so it's nice in that respect.