Old 07-09-07, 12:15 AM
maranen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

Very interesting. My impressions:
1. Looks like the frame and handle-post are secured by Brompton style levers – now it really looks like Brompton.
2. V-brakes may be a bit heavier than cantilever brakes – Merc’s aluminium brakes are very light. But the difference is probably negligible and V-brakes are definitively improvement – self-centering as advertised.
3. In the pictures e.g. seat-post of FL-BP02-3 looks like there is machined rough surface about 5cm down-words from the top. I think this can eliminate seat-post dropping – more friction. Hydraulically pressed version seems to have the old smooth seat-post!?
4. Why do they make the hydraulically pressed frame version? Just in case they’ll lose in court against Brompton? That version looks less attractive than the original.
5. The folding pedal in the picture looks like it might take just a little less space when folded than Merc’s pedal.
6. The seat looks good to me.
7. Is it available in black? Black would draw less attention when locked by the street side.
8. Is there available a straight handle-bar version?
9. Are the spokes of Merc or Brompton thickness?
10. 7- or 8-speed hub-gear must be neat to use but is it as reliable and efficient as 3-speed? Not according to the article “The mechanical efficiency of bicycle derailleur and hub-gear transmissions / Chester Kyle and Frank Berto” to which Jur/EvilV provided a link. But would you notice a difference of about 10% in efficiency – would it feel like riding a bike with rusty chain if you could compare? With 13cm wide rear triangle you can fit a rear derailleur gears, but is it a good choice: With 16 inch wheels you’ll have to be very careful off-road and after folding/unfolding you’ll probably have to do readjusting. I would choose an oiled 3-speed hub gear combined with 2- or 3-speed front derailleur.
I want to quote some lines from the article – I made the underlining. Hope you don’t mind me bringing up this topic. The effect of chain-tensioner remains unknown:

“The grease in the Sachs 3 and the Sturmey Archer 3-speeds was replaced with light oil, and unlike the other hub gear transmissions, the efficiencies of the Sachs 3 and Sturmey 3, compare well with the best of the derailleur transmissions (figs. 7, 9, and 12). Also, these transmissions were worn in, whereas many of the others were new. Manufacturers would do well to replace heavy grease in their hub gears with light oil.”

“In hub gears, such as the Rohloff 14, the efficiency no doubt depends on how many elements of the gear train are in motion as each gear is selected … Rohloff… uses light oil as a lubricant.”

“… factors affecting the efficiency of derailleur gears …. For example, a 12-tooth sprocket seems to cause inefficiency. In the Shimano 27-speed, …. The gears with 12-tooth sprockets (18, 24 and 27) have an average efficiency of 91.2%, while those involving 16-tooth sprockets (11, 20 and 25) have an average efficiency of 93.5%.… Apparently the sharp angle of chain link bend in the 12 causes increased friction compared to larger sprockets. So it appears that larger gears than 12 are necessary for efficient operation.”

To me the V-brakes and roughened seat-post are the most important improvements. Still remains at least the handle-post replacement with a straight one. What about weight? If you want to make it lighter you’ll have to turn to Brompton ti-parts.