View Single Post
Old 07-09-07, 10:23 AM
Dr.Deltron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Rev.Chuck
That is how we do it as well. I want to know if the customer is having an issue so we can talk about what it might cost to fix and what stop gap can be done if the budget does not allow for full repair.
That + I like to do the same shake-rattle-n-roll with the customer that I do looking over garage sale/thrift store bikes.
SHAKE the bearings. HS, BB, hubs, pedals
RATTLE check by dropping the bike from about an inch up.
ROLL the wheels and cranks
Check for tire wear, brake pad wear & chain wear.

So if Supton were to bring his bike to me, I would check over all items with him. Then I would get back to him with a thorough estimate after having carefully gone over the bike completely. Chain stretch is a standard to check when going over a bike for a "tune-up". At least for most of the shops I've worked in. One shop even checked frame alignment!~

To me a "tune-up" is to check everything completely. Make minor adjustments such as screwing in barrel adjusters and taking out the slack in the wire. Center brake pads to the rim etc.

An "overhaul" is to pull apart and rebuild/replace those parts of a bike requireing special tools/knowledge.
Items that were discovered in the "tune-up". Such as a worn driveline.

Supton's bike wouldn't have left my shop with out his knowing that the chain was stretched, and the cogs were worn. (and the knowledge of the difference of cogs and rings! )

So for a shop to return a bike with a bad driveline and not mention it..., That's Baaaad.

Of course, I have the pleasure of having my own bike shop.
I fall victim to all the above foibles when I take my CAR in for "service"!

C'est la vie, huh?