View Single Post
Old 07-10-07, 07:48 AM
McDave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Show us your Vintage Touring bikes

We've got the 'Show us your Vintage Japanese bike' thread and the 'Show us your Vintage Mountain bike' thread, so I figured it's time for a Vintage Touring thread, particularly since mine is both Japanese and Mountain bike.

Miyata 610 and 1000, Specialized Expedition, Surly Long Haul Trucker, ect? Let's see them!

I had this '84 Schwinn High Sierra frame laying around and hadn't decided what to do with it yet when 531phile mentioned in the "longest chainstay" thread in the Touring Forum that they make great touring bikes. Light bulb flashes and I think "I can do that!". So here it is.

The 21" cromoly frame is triple butted, Schwinn calls it Tri-Caliber, and is very very close to the dimensions of a 54cm Surly LHT. The main differences being the High Sierra's seat tube laid back 3 more degrees, 1 1/2 longer top tube, and an inch longer wheelbase. All else is virtually the same.

I already had most of the components needed for the build and about the time I had gathered up the rest of the parts, I bought an old Schwinn catalog with all the specs for an '85 HS. It turns out I had outfitted this bike very close to how it came from the factory with a 26x1.75 Araya wheelset, Suntour Mountech derailleurs, and Dia-comp canti brakes!

Other notable parts are the Nitto North Albatross bars, Suntour XC Pro stem, Greenfield kickstand, and SR dual quick release seatpost. Gearing is Suntour 14x32 with a Suntour Micro-Drive 42/32/20 crankset. That ought to pull some hills! And it's going to need it too as this lightweight 5lb frame has gotten very heavy.

Rear rack is an old Blackburn, and one of my all time best eBay scores is the, like new full set of Madden panniers with a Topeak RakMule front rack for $125 plus shipping. Edit: I forgot the frame only cost $26 plus shipping!!!

I've nicknamed the bike "Electraglide" because the smooth ride reminds me of those big old Buick Electras. Here's a couple shots, more in my sig below...