Old 07-10-07, 10:31 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's nothing wrong with sugar. It's the most basic fuel that the body uses to provide energy to working muscles.

The sucrose (table sugar) molecule is a disaccharide. In other words it's made up of two molecules of monosaccharides--fructose (usually found in fruits) and glucose.

The bigger the molecule, the longer it takes to break down for use by the muscles.

Hydration problems start when people mix their own. They use too much or too little of the powder that goes into water. The concentration affects how fast the liquid empties from the stomach. Too much powder and the liquid takes longer to empty. Not enough and the muscles don't get optimal fuel.

During my bike trip to Ocean City, last Wednesday, I restocked at each location where a red dot appears. I started with 2 x 24oz of Gatorade and restocked with the same. The temperature got up into the mid-80s F/high humidity.

On the way home, Sunday, I supplemented the Gatorade with plain water. I stopped 2-3 times more since the temperature was in the mid-to-high 90s F/high humidity.

Everyone is different, but not so different that they can disobey the rules regarding gastric emptying (providing the highest amount of fuel possible over the shortest time). Appropriate amounts of electrolyte salts in a 6-8% solution of sugars and water is the quickest method to do that.

I guess the bottom line is to practise eating and drinking on the bike to find out what works best for you.

Sorry, for barging in. I still have 6 months before turning 50.