Old 05-26-04, 08:01 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Prosody
I'd never suggest you're old; maybe a whippersnapper, but not old. Reading the newspaper article and your post, DnvrFox, I thought about a movie that touched on issues of age and, believe it or not, vehicular bicycling: Wrestling Ernest Hemingway. It stars Robert Duval, Richard Harris, and Sandra Bullock, to name a few. Here is the Internet Movie Database information about it.
Okay - I guess I don't quite see the connection, but thanks for the response.

Moonshot seems to be 43 years old, so perhaps 67 seems a loonngg way off??

I know the older I get the younger my last year's age seems!

As the 83-year-old, former 20/20 host, Hugh Downs, puts it:

“It is depressing to see ‘old’ portrayed as close to senile because it is contrary to how people our age feel.”
****- The Cleveland Plain Dealer, 26 March 2004

Jack Nicholson, who turned 67 just a couple of weeks ago, thinks he might like to be a role model for some of us.

“My generation is the new old,” he says. “We’re living longer. If I can’t find real models, my idea would be to inspire that. I don’t want to live thinking that everyone in the world thinks that life is over at 45 years old, because it certainly isn’t.”
****- Time, 8 December 2003

74-year-old Doris Roberts plays the mother on Everybody Loves Raymond. In her spare time, she speaks out against ageism, even appearing before Congress in 2002.

“It’s terrible the way we have been air-brushed out of society,” she says. “There are very few women over the age of 50 who are working [as actresses]. I happen to be one of them, and I’m very grateful. But it’s wrong. Don’t we have doctors, lawyers, judges, executives, who are women over the age of 40? Of course we do. But no magazines will even carry an article about them. We’re a group they’re uninterested in. And it’s the last bastion of bigotry in this country...”
****- Backstage, 24 February 2004

Winston Churchill
Ronald Reagan

Were these OLD men - who in their doddering old age led nations through times of crisis?

Okay, end of soapboxing!