View Single Post
Old 07-13-07, 06:31 PM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanspeer
I ride in to the train to get to work, which means that I hit the road at 6:00am and then hit the road on the way home at 5:30pm. It'll be dark by 6:00am by mid-September, and so I'm trying to think ahead about what kind of light I need to get. Any feedback on the lights below, or alternatives to look into would be great.

Just for the record, I'll be on a fairly busy but not terribly well-lit street for a large portion of the 6-mile trek each way. I want illumination not only so that others will see me (in addition to two blinking headlights and no less than three blinking and/or steady rear lights), but so that I can keep my speed around 20mph without needing to slow down to <15mph.

Here's what I'm considering:

NiteRider Classic
NiteRider TrailRat
CygoLite Hi-Flux
CygoLite DualCross

Basically, the more light the better. Mounting for the battery doesn't concern me much (water bottle-style battery, strap to top tube, etc.). I used a friend's NiteRider 15W light (NiteOwl??) last winter and loved it.

Hints/suggestions/alternatives? $150 or less would be fantastic.

Your budget puts you really close to the DiNotte Ultralight 5W, or the new version, the 200L. The 200L is putting out 200 lumens. DiNotte is a good company, and their lights are hand made by Americans(if that means anything to you). I've had a DiNotte 5W since they hit the market and am very pleased, Bright light, small footprint, AA rechargeables. Love it.