Old 07-15-07, 08:43 AM
CHenry

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tickledivory
Have you ever had to deal with traffic that was so dangerous you gave up bicycle commuting and went back to driving?. Part of my 18 mile trip to work involves 10 miles of two lane road rated at 55 MPH. Few people drive under 65 MPH and there is no paved shoulder to ride on.

I ride with the flow of traffic and don't even mind the people whizzing by so much. They usually give me a lot of room when they pass. The problem is the oncoming traffic. These people are going to work when I'm going home, and they use my lane as a passing lane. Every day I have to get off the road to allow these people to pass each other with out nailing me head on.

The road is straight and I should be very visible. But its still dangerous. Are any of you so gung ho that you let nothing stop you?
I wouldn't want to ride on any road with no shoulder, on a bike or even in a car. If the traffic speeds at 65 mph, that is even worse. I have driven roads like that across Florida and elsewhere, and it can be nerve wracking.

Bicycle commuting is a nice idea, but it should not be imperative over safety. If part of the ride could be safely ridden and there was a safe and reasonable place to leave a car for the day, I might split a commute, but otherwise I would be resigned to drive.

Last edited by CHenry; 07-15-07 at 09:48 AM.