Old 07-16-07, 05:10 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Weight gain from cycling?

Last weekend I really pushed myself hard to try get myself off a weight loss plateau that I've been on for months. The strangest thing happened. Monday morning I weighed myself after using the bathroom (get rid of every bit of weight possible!) and I had gained 2 kgs i.e over 4 lbs! Same thing happened previous weekend. I do generally lose the gain over the next week before the next ride but that means I don't lose weight over time.

Saturday I did 80 miles (my longest distance yet due to getting lost on a planned 50 mile ride) solo - 5 hours
Sunday 45 miles group ride

Both were over hilly terrain where I pushed really hard uphill and there were a lot of hills. On the solo ride I specifically went to the steepest hills in the area. The group ride was especially hard becasue I was riding with people who were faster and much stronger climbers than me. Both rides exhausted me making me fall asleep after I got home. I did eat a lot post ride, but healthily - turkey, lettuce, cucumber, pasta, celery, eggs, peas

Some background: I was 210 lbs before the weekend. Height 5'10. Been cycling both days on weekends for about 10 months. I eat very healthily (no junk no added salt, very low fat, moderate carbs, lots of fruit and veg) - so healthy I get bored with the food I eat. Good cardio fitness. I don't get out of breath on solo rides though I do push hard (I always chase other faster riders whenever I see them and especially when they overtake me).

What's going on? Why do I keep gaining weight after rides? Why can't I lose weight over time? Anyone else see weight gain after rides?

Thanks