View Single Post
Old 07-16-07, 07:54 AM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I'm also pretty sure that Vino wasn't making the sign of the cross. Christians who do this (Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, and some older Protestant denominations) typically do so over their chest, as mentioned by a previous poster. Presuming Vino is Christian (I've never seen him make the sign of the cross, but apparently others have) he's probably Orthodox.

I interpreted it at the time that Vino was simply saying "I feel like s*** and am probably done for."
Either that or he's just super-pissed about whatever endorsement contract that forced him to wear Greg LeMond's sunglasses from 1989...

I've seen lots of pro cyclists with crosses on chains around their necks (Kloeden, for example) but the crossing-oneself memory that most sticks out in my mind was Yaroslav Popovych after he won a stage on a breakaway last year, crossed himself three times as he approached the line alone - and did it all in slow motion. At least on Versus' replays.

Would be interesting to know what percentage of pro cyclists are religious, and of what religions. Also interesting to know what percent are actively religious. In some countries religious identity is very closely intertwined with ethnic identity, and crossing oneself (for example) doesn't necessarily mean that someone is an active practicing Christian. Ah, the sociology of religion...