View Single Post
Old 02-19-02, 02:24 AM
zoroastr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Praise of Cheap, Old Steel....

A few months ago I bought an older Sekai 2700 in excellent stock [unmodified] condition from a dealer whose main business is in newer, sleek carbon-fiber-and-titanium ultra-kewl hyper fast dream machines that sell for thousands. The price for the Sekai was 75 bucks. I rode the thing home thinking what a great rain bike/thrasher it would make for a season or two until I pummeled it into the ground through sheer abuse and neglect--even if I only got one season out of it, it'd be worth the price....right?
But as I rode the thing, it gradually dawned on me what a really nice bike this was. I mean, although it was a tad heavy, it rolled as nice as anything i'd raced on; it had perfectly adequate brakes; the frame felt stout yet responsive and compliant--all in all, a very nice ride! I have since taken the Sekai out on many team training rides and have no trouble keeping up in the peleton. I haven't had the courage to race it yet, but I honestly don't know why I shouldn't. This summer I'm planning to ride the west coast from Seattle to San Francisco, and I think I'm going to do it on the 75-dollar rain bike. I recently bought a rack and some bags and fenders for it and when it's all set up and the weather's a little nicer, I'm taking two weeks off to point the thing south and cover some epic miles.
Any Sekai owners out there who might have info on this bike or others like it in the line of Sekais? Any other thoughts on resurrecting older but perfectly serviceable bikes?
thanks