Old 05-31-04, 11:05 AM
Alrocket
sport fanatic

Bikes: Trek 4300, Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Juggling different sports - no time for gym!

I haven't been able to make it to the gym very often lately, and I'm wondering what I can do about it.

The main problem is that I do plenty of cardio in sport outside the gym - lots of cycling, running and tip rugby, and some climbing and most recently sailing. I get no time to get to the gym and do a serious resistance sessions. I've noticed loss of bulk (going catabolic?), which doesn't bode well for the (rugby) front row come next September (season starts).

One of the reasons I find it hard to get time is that I know a proper session will knock me out of using that body area for the next 3 days, so on the rare occasions that I do have the opportunity I pass it up knowing that e.g. a good back & shoulders workout will completely take out my ability to go cycling/climbing/sailing over the next few days, and will hinder everything else. I don't even bother with leg workouts at the moment, sprints & hill climbs provide quite a good workout. Arms, back and upper body are suffering a little bit. I'm still keeping in touch by doing the occasional (monthly) heavy session in the weights room.

My current thoughts are that I just need to prioritise, and resistance work just isn't up there at the top of the list for me at the moment. This isn't so much of a question, more a frustrated comment.

I would appreciate any of your comments or suggestions. Anyone in the same boat?