militant buddhist

Bikes: '08 Scott CR-1 Pro, '02 Jamis Nova

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scottdude
hey all,
this ones a doozie i went riding today with my pops to go get a pass for a fitness center at his work. on our way there we had to ride briefly on a very calm road as far as small traffic goes but a few big rigs pass through every few minutes. we were about 5 miles into this adventure riding almost on the shoulder so that the rigs could pass on the fast lane and we could continue without much problem. i heard a rig behind us and didn't bother to look in the mirror as i was leading and my dad would have blocked my view anyway so i kept my current line. suddenly the rig passes a little less than a foot from my handle bars with trailer and all and almost blows me right off the road when it finnally got by which seemed like forever i looked to the fastlane and noone was there, theres simply no reason for that crap. needless to say i was very angry with the driver and my father and i proceeded to yell this to the back of the rig. the funny part is the area my father works for is packing and shipping and he memorized the rig so that they could give the guy a hard time the next time he comes through. anyway i just wanted to see what you guys thought about it and if this is just a preety normal thing or what.
So, you hate big rigs, all of them, because of the actions of one driver? I am a tractor trailer driver, and just like any other field, there are a lot that are great, courteous drivers, and some that aren't that good, that can't get a good job because of it. And there are also your fair share of a--holes. Personally, I'll put the average tractor trailer drivers driving skills against those of the average guy behind the wheel, any day of the week. And yes, that is from the perspective of a cyclist that has been buzzed more than once by a tractor trailer.

BTW - tell your father it makes a lot more sense for him to get in touch with the drivers employer, than it does to "give the guy a hard time next time he comes through".