View Single Post
Old 07-21-07, 09:53 PM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just did it. It's funny in that it lists lots of commodities that I don't use.

Groceries
According to them, I have a good selection of kosher groceries within 0.3 km and further away (2 km from home) a couple of Indian stores. They missed one decent and two very good fruit and vegetable stores, all within 0,4 km, a medium-size grocery at 0,5 km, and three or four large grocery stores at 1 to 3 km from home, plus a few ethnic stores I might visit occasionally.

I suspect the large groceries weren't found because "Provigo, Intermarché, Loblaws and Métro are not registred as groceries with Google. We don't have Safeways in Québec but we have lots of other choices!

Oh, I tend to walk one way rather than the other because the environment seems better, and I forget a third direction because there are two railway tracks in the way.

Restaurants
It works better only because there are so many. There are 8 listed, all at less than 0,15 km from home, and quite frankly I could list about 20 at less than 0,6 km.

Coffee shops
The software needs to travel 5 km to find 8 of them, except one would need to travel diagonally against the grid or through the mountain to reach those places. Yet I can find 10 of them within 3 km from home, using real streets

Movie theatres
No U.S. brand names, so none was found.

Schools
If you think Canadians are ignorant, it's because there aren't any schools in Montréal or in Canada. At least, that's what Google thinks. The closest schools are 70 km away (actually closer to 100 km by road), in U.S.!

Drugstores and Hardware
I don't recognize my neighbourhood! Where are those hardware stores that I visit regularly? Maybe it's because the neighbouring hardware is called "Ro-Na" rather than "Ace"?

With that, I get a score of 62, for a triplex that is right in the midst of the city (Mile-End–Plateau-Mont-Royal district)