pm124
Car free since 1995

Bikes: M5 Carbon High Racer, Trek Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by matthew_deaner
Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like the general consensus is that my son won't harm his joints; etc by putting in a lot of miles.

My son's doctor seemed to think it was a really bad idea for my son to ride as far as he does... but she has little or no experience in sports medicine and many of her opinions in the past have been way off base. I would switch doctors if there were another in this area on my insurance plan.

I will help him work on stepping up his cadence. That may help his muscular soreness too.

I think we already have the nutrition thing down. I am experienced with distance cycling, and I make sure that he eats when he needs to and that he has enough to drink. I really have to watch out that he doesn't overeat... cycling really stimulates his appetite. He'll eat until his stomach hurts at rest stops if you let him.
I'm a physician, but not a pediatrician. For once, I agree with the medical advice dolled out on the forum. (Too often, it's dangerous.) But in this case, spin, spin, baby. And go as far as you want. I was racing when I was 14 and am only psychologically damaged as a result. Thus far, physiologically intact.