Old 07-24-07, 10:13 AM
VT Biker

Bikes: Cannondale R700 (2005)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timmhaan;4918768[B
]i think the bike and component manufactures are at least getting something out of sponsorship.[/B] afterall, i can see that people are buying treks, specialized bikes, dura ace, SRAM, etc..

as for the benefit to companies that are not directly related to cycling...i'm not so sure it's gonna last. t-mobile looks ready to fold.

I agree with the above. But there is a big differece in money when your sponsorship comes from cycling specific companies versus huge multi-national conglomerates. If you want to see where road cycling is going, look no further than the fortunes of mountain bike racers or professional triathletes. The money is so little, that these guys all have to look for jobs immediately after retiring from the sport. And this is for the top guys. The domestiques if you will: they have to hold second jobs or essentially live like bike bumbs. You can forget having that second home in the Pyrenees like so many riders do. They will be staying at hostels.

I bet you that the Disco team management is pissed. They may have to disband the team after this year.

Millar's comments are an honest assessment of the situation. He sees the writing on the wall, and this is now the final straw. If I were ASO/UCI, I would kick out Rassmussan now, and get all of the bad news out of the way. Send a message to Rassmussan that while UCI may have rules, the ASO and Tour have their own. Act suspicious, and your toast.