View Single Post
Old 07-24-07, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrimsonKarter21
Thanks for the input 11.4, and yes, the wheel is being used for track ONLY. The only issue that I'm facing is whether or not the wheel will hold while doing 35mph diving a steep banking.
Doing a 12.5 - 13.0 sec 200m isn't going to be the worst thing a hub usually sees. The wheel doesn't take the worst of the abuse in pretty much any riding on the track unless you race at speed into the judges' stand or you t-bone somebody and flip badly. It's the curb-hopping, potholes, sewer grates, doorings, etc. that tend to nail wheels. Be sure you aren't using an outrageously high spoke tension of course, and that the rim isn't already damaged by prior misuse. Otherwise, I'd just ride it.

Since someone mentioned them, however, I would be quite cautious about slotting Dura Ace hubs for bladed spokes, however. Most people don't do it right. The slots need to be axial (pointed towards the axle, not tangential to the edge of the flange) and need to be cut very smoothly and straight. They also need to stay away from the edge of the flange, so they need to cut inwards from the spoke hole, never outwards. These days there are good aero spokes that pretty much eliminate the need to use traditional bladed spokes.