Old 06-03-04, 10:29 PM
a2psyklnut

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey BQuick,

I fully understand. In that case, I would recommend a budget between $500 and $750. At the $750 range, you start getting into "raceable" bikes in their stock configurations. At this pricepoint, consider only new HARDTAILS(HT) or used full squish bikes. There are very few full suspension bikes I am comfortable recommending under the $1,000 price point. VERY FEW! Unless on closeout, but that's different.

HT bikes in the $750 range will have butted and custom drawn/shaped tubes, lightweight components at Deore and some LX level components. The suspension forks will have some adjustability to tune the ride.

I would avoid disc brakes. 90% of riders don't need them, they just look cool. If you buy a bike with discs, they've had to cut corners in other components to afford the discs. IMO, I'd rather have a better fork, or better shifters than cheap discs on my bike.

Something like the Rockhopper Comp for $710 would be an example of a great bike!

The key is to find a bike that fits you. To do this, you should visit your LBS and test ride as many different manuf.'s bikes as possible. Each manuf. uses what they feel is the "ideal" geometry for their bikes. Since none of us have "exactly" the same body dimensions, there is no "one bike fits all". You need to find a manufacturer whose bike geometries match your bodies' dimensions.

For me, Specialized bikes always seem to "just feel right". Also, Gary Fisher's (decent bikes) just "feel WRONG!". So, I don't buy those!

Good luck and the hunt is half the fun!

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger