View Single Post
Old 06-04-04, 11:17 PM
Heavy Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatLuc
Thanks Barnaby. I like the quality too. I know it's not much when compared to modern bikes, but to be able to find a bike with alloy rims, alloy stem and bars, and 3-piece cranks is a find for $10.00. Especially if everything works. So many cheap thrift bikes are bike-boom department store stuff with crappy everything.

The only thing I don't like on this bike is the deraileur components. They are all steel low end Shimano. It's funny how bikes are equipped. The '78 Kabuki I picked up recently has better deraileurs (alloy Suntour), but lesser rims and bars. It's interesting where different mfg's decided to put the $$$.

That's weird about your stem. I'm pretty sure mine is 22.2. Only the French would go odd with that 22.0 deal. That's why I like this bike - everything is "standard" when compared to the French Jeunet I recently did. Upgrades are tough to come by for the Frencher's.

Remove the lock deal on the end of the stem and try it. Lube it good first. Maybe there is some rust scale or something in the forks? Run some sand paper around in there a few times.

When you complete your bike, update the forum.

Good luck as well.
Pat
Hello All,

I'm a first-timer here, although i've been "lurking" for some time. Anyway, I bought a Takara "Super 12" touring bike off of eBay several months ago. I'm very tall (6' 9"), and the frame on the bike was a righteous 27" from center BB to top of seat tube. It had (and still has) a Suntour "7" derailleur group, with alloy wheels.

The crankset was a Suntour alloy with odd-ball/bcd steel rings. I swapped out the crankset with a Sugino Alps all-alloy, put a different chain, freewheel, seat/post, stem, and Richie handlebar on it. I replaced the stem shifters with a set of Sutour "Power Ratchet" downtube clamp-ons. I had to grease everything, and retained the three-piece bottom bracket after new bearings, etc. Voila, a sweet ride. It's become my favorite bike, not so much because it fits well (it does), but because of the way it rides.

Now, the reason for my post...my bike takes a 21.1 (.833) stem. It took me a while to sort that out. That's the same size as BMX bikes and department store cheapies. All of those stems are solid steel and heavy, but they fit. My Takara is better quality than that. I was looking for an alloy stem with more extension, to replace the original alloy stem. I searched the internet for a better-quality 21.1 stem, and came up short. I finally had to laboriously file down and sand a 22.2 Specialized stem that I had on hand, and it's now a perfect fit.

Hope this helps someone...I really like the bike!