Old 07-26-07, 10:18 AM
ash4781

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Folding bike for 3 stage commute

First post. (I currently don't ride)

The journey to work involves a walk of about 2 miles to the station and then a train about 15 miles, and then a short (about 2 miles) bus ride . If I commuted straight to the office it would be about 15-20 miles with roads all the way, heavy traffic and fairly flat!

I've had a look at a few bikes over the past week; Decathlon, Specialized Globe and Cirrus, Marin Novato, Carrera Subway (for Halfords). Some of them looked like they would fall to bits.

The problem I have is that I don't think I'd be able to ride 15 miles but leaving an expensive bike at the station all day would be asking for trouble. Not sure about folding bikes.

Which is the one to ride for a beginner ? (15 mile or the 4 mile or cheap hack bike on the 2 mile side)
Above was posted in the commuting forum and they referred me to here.
Any recommendations for the folder ?

Originally Posted by invisiblehand
You might want to move this to your own thread.

The following details would be helpful:

(1) What is your budget for the bike excluding accessories?

(2) Whether you plan on being a multi-model commuter or actually riding to work.

(3) Approximately where you live. Certain areas of the country seem to have shops that specialize in folding bikes.

(4) Whether you are going to use the bike for anything else other than commuting.

-G
1. About 400 pounds

2. Probably not riding to work until raise fitness level. Not sure how long this would take.

3. Kent (South East of England)

4. Unlikely