Old 08-01-07, 08:48 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BeckyW
So I know 12 miles is nothing to most of you, but it's WAY further than I'd gone before. Was typically doing 5-ish mile rides, and previous longest was 7. Here's the route:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...ille/669256696

I'm tired, and knee isn't 100% happy, but I feel pretty good! I need to get another water bottle cage, though. I stopped at a convenience store about halfway to get a drink, and subjected myself to a lot of funny looks and open laughter by a couple of rednecks in a dirty old pickup. Who cares, right? But still.. I'd rather not stop, and so not have to "not care."

Total time was about 1:45, but that included 1) stop to put chain back on when it fell off after a bad downshift (EDIT: Slipped off gears, but didn't come all the way off!), 2) stop to fix seat when it tipped back and had me practically sliding off onto my rear wheel (that one took about 20 minutes - accidentally took seatpost all the way apart! then 3) stop for drinks. I'm guessing total saddle time was about 1:15.

There were some flat stretches, which I thought would be easier, but discovered they're just different! What's up with this "you have to keep pedaling" thing?? I'm hoping to do a route like this, but 20-25 miles, by the end of August. Think I can make it?
Congrats!!!! Remember the journey of 1000 miles begins with the first pedal stroke.

As for the rednecks, you get the last laugh in a few years when gas is $16/Gallon and the rednecks can't afford gas anymore, and your looking at riding the 15 miles to work, as a "short" ride. A big to the rednecks when you get your Athena Emeritus certificate!

There are flats and there are flats, I have seen flat sections that actually only appear flat, they actually have a slight rise to them. My worst hill, is one that goes about 100m and rises about 1m, it's somehow worse then another one that rises 15m over 300m (I have no idea why)!