View Single Post
Old 08-03-07, 06:14 PM
Halthane

Bikes: 2001 Giant OCR w/105-10spd, Schwinn High-Plains Built for Commute plus 3 Others in Various Stages of Rebuild/Repair

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fas2c
Do you think I will have problems fitting my components? I'd hate to get involved swapping then have to stop and buy parts. My biggest worry is fitting the cranks.

I really appreciate everyone's help. I hope it shows, as I really need the help!
I would go talk to your LBS about a fork, they might definitely have one. Also from looking at sheldon's website 1" threaded seems to be a pretty common standard. See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ha-i.html#headset

On another not if you are planning on making the component swap etc. Sheldon's website is a must read. It is a major resource for me, I have several good books on bicycle maintenance and repair, and I use his website far more.

Actually, oddly enough the cranks are probably your least worry. Assuming your cranks are standard square taper (which they probably are) all that might need to be done is a new bottom bracket to get your chain spacing correct. Its quite possible that your existing one would work as with a GT of that era your BB is almost certainly 68mm english threaded.

Rear derailer should work no problem. If you stay flat bar the shifter for the rear should be fine.

If you stay with your existing 26" wheels your brakes (cantilever I assume) should work fine, and thus so should your brake levers. If you go to 700c wheels you will likely need new brake calipers, but your levers might still work (again assuming you stay flat bar).

Front derailer would be the likely problem if it didn't fit the new frame. And depending on its style even if you change the front derailer you can probably still use the front shift levers.

That said if you need to improve your health and fitness a bike is a good way to do it, but it should be comfortable and enjoyable and a new bike may be very much worth the cost.