View Single Post
Old 08-04-07, 08:07 PM
threeoneseven

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tri in a month...need advice

I was asked about a week ago if I wanted to try a triathlon the 1st weekend of September (1/2, 18, 5 mile). I didn't give it much thought until I went and watched one this morning. Now my mind is racing...

So I am not worried about the running or the biking. My short circle for road bike training is about 25 miles, fairly hilly, and I average about 23mph solo (cycling is my main sport). Running, I usually do 2-3 times a week, and do a 4 mile circle, averaging about an 8 minute mile.

What I am worried about is the swimming. I don't ever do it. Would a month give me enough time to train to at least be able to get through the 1/2 mile swim? Any suggestions as to how many days a week I should train? I did swim once every couple of weeks about a year ago when I had a Y membership, and could usually do a back and forth lap, rest for 20-30 seconds and do it again, for a total of about 6 sets. But that was a year ago. (I don't suck at swimming...I have good form - I was on my jr. high team, just haven't done it in a while)

I am 27, 5'10" and weigh 137lbs. I feel like I am in fairly good shape, and just want the reassurance a month is enough time.