Old 08-05-07, 10:03 AM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by neilfein
Oh, no. On the not-saddle, it's just a lot of adjusting over the years. Nobody sees this part in any case.

That gunk on the top tube is decal residue, I can't get it off. I tried alcohol, then baby oil (works for book stickers), and acetone. (Not all at once.) I guess next is lighter fluid. I think it's in with the clearcoat by now, so I may end up sanding it off and then applying more clearcoat. Ugh...
Try sanding it a little, to break the surface, some decals are plastic coated, so your remover can't get at the glue. Then take some thick cloth the same size as the decal, a piece of old towel or face cloth would work well, soak that in your lighter fluid, then put it over the decal, put a piece of plastic over that a little larger then the same size, and tie a string around it, let sit in a well ventilated area, away from spark or flame for 24 hours. The cloth holds the chemical in place, the plastic keeps it from evaporating off, and the string keeps it in contact. You may need to refinish the tube in that area afterwards though.