View Single Post
Old 08-06-07, 10:28 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by hamez
I suppose I could do that but I don't see the benefit. If I were to narrow the gear range though I would have more options in the range that i actually use. Not just less options. Does anyone know of a narrower crankset?
The problem with making a narrow range crankset would be that deraillers are set up for a certain difference between the number of teeth on chainrings. You might have a tough time getting a 44/38/32 (or similar setup) shifting right although it may work. No one sells such a thing as far as I can tell but you could make one yourself by buying the individual chain rings and bolting them on to your crank.

But, to me, it's hardly worth it. If you ride in more areas, you'll eventually find a big enough hill that you can hold 35+mph on and then the 48 tooth ring will come in handy for keeping your speed up. That same hill might require the little ring to get back up it.

How much of the cassette's range do you use? Do you ever use the little ring either? You could change the cassette to a 12-23 or similar so that you actually use the different chainrings more if this really is a concern of yours. The tighter cassette would allow you adjust the gearing better for holding a certain cadence which can be nice if you like a certain cadence.